2017 is here, and most of us are scrambling to make up a few New Year’s resolutions that, frankly, we’ll probably forget about in February. Here’s how to create a resolution that actually sticks so you can better yourself this year.
Below are six tips to help you stick to your New Year’s Resolutions:
- Your goal should be specific. Make your goal concrete, and if necessary, break it down into smaller steps. For example, if your resolution is to have a ‘cleaner’ beauty wardrobe, resolve to buying one clean products every couple of months instead of clearing out your beauty cupboard entirely.
- Write your resolution down and put it somewhere where you can see it on a daily basis. This will help you to stay focused.
- Hold yourself accountable by letting others know about your resolution.
- Have coping strategies in place to deal with obstacles that may arise along the way. For example, if your goal is to drink less alcohol you may consider skipping parties or events that involve a lot of drinking or bring a sober friend along to provide you with support and to help keep you on track.
- Reward yourself at each milestone; if you resolve to spend less money; reward yourself by getting a massage instead of going shopping. It is important to be conscious of the rewards you chose.
- Ask for help. Try to be open to seeking professional help when needed. Knowing when to ask for help takes a great deal of courage, strength and wisdom.
What resolutions have you made for the New Year?